Have you heard of QR codes?
They are little bar graph looking squares that contain information when scanned by a cell phone with a camera and an app that reads them. QR stands for quick response and they are really gaining popularity.
Are they a fad? Or should you expect to see more of them all over the place? I don’t now. I don’t think they are a fad because they are free to generate and can be used for most any kind of formatted information.
What can you do with a QR CODE?
A. What can you encode:
I have searched around for the best QR code generator and the best hands down is Kerem Erkans… What makes it the best is that you can generate the code as a PDF, PNG, and even EPS for you vector art lovers. It also includes a bunch of cool presets like:
- Browse to a website
- Bookmark a website
- Make a phone call
- Send an SMS (text)
- Send an Email
- Create a Vcard (will import contact info into the scanner’s phone)
- Create a meCard (like a simplified Vcard)
- Create a vCalendar event (import events into the scanner’s calendar program)
- Google Maps
- Android Market Search
- Youtube URL for iphone
- Encode the latest tweet of a user
- Tweet on Twitter
- or jut put in some text
B. What can it be used for:
Here are a couple ideas that I can think of off the top of my head feel free to leave some comments if you think I’ve left out something important.
- Place event info on an event flyer or poster
- Tape a “Tweet This” QR code to a kick me sign on someone’s back (make sure to include a hashtag so you can see how many people did it)
- Follow me on twitter Tshirt
- Real estate signs for more info about the house
- Put your contact info on your business card
- Market your Apps for quick download (place QR code on web site, stickers, stamps, toilet paper, etc)
- Link to landing pages to track with google analytics with coupons, info, forms, etc.
- Shave phone number into your dogs fur in case Fido get’s lost
- Full back tattoo to your blog (just make sure you have the domain set on auto-renew)
- Temporary Tattoos to promote your latest sermon series at your church
- Try to make your video go viral
- Use them on a scavenger hunt
- Cashless fundraisers (just print giving page URL on shirts/signs)
C. Coolest uses I’ve seen:
QR Code Trucker Hat
Kanye West Ringtone Billboard
- Image from http://2d-code.co.uk/
My contact card in this web site sidebar (I know, shameless)