I have read a lot of blogs about Jesus and marketing and the overwhelming opinion is that Jesus would not be a fan of being “marketed.” Because marketers are like used car-salesmen, charlatans, and commission based workers at furniture stores.
I can see their point. Jesus would only use forms of marketing that were available to him in “Bible Times” and not new-fangled technology like the inter-web or flannel-graphs. Similar to how we all know that if Jesus came to Earth during the 80s he would have driven a donkey and not a DeLorean.
Here are some old school “Bible Approved” marketing techniques.
- Using carrier pigeons to pass out invites to the sermon on the mount
- Make ‘Em Laugh – “What’s the deal with Pharisees?”
- Use original twitter techniques to establish a catch phrase “Follow me.”
- Have the disciples act out a parable in 30 seconds while Jesus whistled the theme music to the mac commercials.
- Donkey Bumper stickers (branding with a Jesus Fish)
I think if we stick to ideas like these we can change the conception of marketing Jesus.